The Surgical Technician II prepares supplies, equipment and instrumentation for each surgery performed in the Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC). The Surgical Technician II will assist the physician with the maintenance of the sterile field and all supplies for each surgery. Facilitates with Operating Room flow and maintaining sterility within the OR area. These individuals also serve as a resource to new peer members within the OR.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes the mission, vision and values of the company
- Gathers needed procedure appropriate supplies for each surgery.
- Opens surgical supplies, sets up sterile field and maintains sterile field using aseptic technique. Identifies any break in sterile technique.
- Anticipates the surgeons needs and requests appropriate supplies prior to their immediate need.
- Updates surgeon preference cards as needed.
- Contact any new on boarding surgeons with preferences prior to initial start and assist in ordering any new equipment, medication, etc. To meet surgeon preference needs.
- Reports missing or malfunctioning equipment and instruments to the OR Manager in a timely manner.
- Operates equipment required to perform job in a safe and efficient manner.
- Disposes of sharps and hazardous materials according to policy and utilizes PPE.
- Performs sharps and sponge counts with the RN according to policy
- Washes and reprocesses instrumentation according to established standards and ASC policy.
- Organizes storage area for instruments and supplies under the direction of the OR Manager.
- Labels medication on the sterile field. Accounts for and verifies amounts, reporting totals to both the surgeon and Anesthesiologist.
- Maintains knowledge of commonly used local anesthetics, antibiotics, and topical hemostats.
- Provide supportive care during the preoperative phase
- Checking chart, ID patient, verify procedure and consent
- Helps transport patient to the recovery room
- Properly cares for specimens; take frozen section to designated Hospital Lab
- Assist OR staff as directed with physician orders according to patient needs.
- Assist anesthesia personal as needed
- Assists in initial Operating Room (OR) set up, including wiping down all flat surfaces and assists in initial decontamination room set up.
- Cleans OR with appropriate disinfecting agents.
- Assists in end of day clean up procedures.
- Assists Nurse Manager in the maintenance of supply inventory.
- Assists with OR Team scheduling as needed.
- Serves as a resource to peer members in the OR’s clean and dirty rooms.
- Participates in staff meetings and in-services, accurately maintaining education file.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Completion of an accredited Surgical Technician program and a minimum of one year’s experience as a Surgical Technician or five years as s Surgical Technician. Ophthalmology experience strongly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current BCLS certification required or must be obtained within the first 60 days of employment. Surgical Technician certification is strongly preferred.