The Senior SQL Server Developer will leverage and utilize data across the enterprise. This role demands proven experience with managing large data sets, administering cloud computing architecture, open-source tools, and performance optimization techniques, as well as demonstrated expertise in application architecture, cloud solutions, emerging technologies, data modeling, data architecture, data warehousing, data migration and business intelligence. The ETL developer will design, develop, and maintain solutions for ingestion, transformation, and loading data into our Enterprise Data Warehouse. The successful candidate will have strong experience developing configurable SSIS/T-SQL/Stored Procedures skills to load and extract data on SQL Server platform.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Support full development life cycle for new ETL solutions. This includes understanding requirements, design/development of the solution, testing, deployment, and ultimately ongoing support of the solution
- Ongoing support and improvement of existing database and ETL solutions
- Develop automated solutions through Stored Procedures, SSIS packages and ETL Jobs to extract data in custom formats based on various source systems.
- Assist with creation of visual documentation of existing solutions/processes
- Perform some SQL Server DBA responsibilities. Manage database permissions, ad-hoc backup / restore operations, administration of SQL Agent Jobs, manual deployment of database scripts, etc.
- Oversee and define development specifications, technical requirements, system performance objectives, and necessary system modifications
- Research and analyze business requirements to recommend optimal architecture solutions
- Contribute to project plan development, offer input, communicate status, and ensure timely issue escalation
- Ensure the design of data systems, including the Enterprise Data Warehouse, is optimal to achieve Practice, Clinical, Business and Research goals and outcomes
- Responsible for the design of data architecture for information systems across the enterprise through designing data models, standard terminologies, metadata and clinical decision support elements
- Support in designing schemas, federate data from large enterprise systems, and make that data available for informed decision making, reporting, analysis, and data mining
- Design data marts, develop scheduled and ad-hoc parameterized queries and reports from a variety of data sources and provide on-going analytical support for these kind of requests
- Assist with identification of data integrity problems and recommend solutions
- Define and enforce architectural standards, procedures, metrics, and policies for data across the enterprise to ensure consistency and adherence to best practices
- Support application development teams in the data design of complex solutions and ensure that teams are in alignment with the organization’s data architecture principles, standards, strategies, and target states
- Facilitate transition from high-level design to detailed implementation and support a project lifecycle with input from management where needed.
Required Technical Skills
- SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/2019
- Transact-SQL (Creating stored procedures, views, functions)
- Light SQL Server DBA tasks: assign permissions, restore databases, identify error messages upon receiving failure notification of SQL Agent jobs, etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot and modify existing T-SQL scripts and procedures
- Strong experience developing and deploying configurable SSIS solutions
- Adherence to best practices for developing solutions using SQL Server
- Experience with Optical and Ophthalmology Healthcare Databases (Compulink, Centricity, Greenway Entergy)
- Azure SQL Managed Instance/ Azure IaaS Environment
- Exposure to Power BI, SSRS and Tableau.
- Visual Studio 2010/2012/2015/2019 (C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET)
- Work effectively with both business and technical stakeholders
- Ability to independently learn new technologies and data related approaches
- Good attitude with critical and conceptual thinking skills
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and communication skills in addition to good interpersonal skills
- Exceptional problem solving, analytical and organizational skills with a detail-oriented attitude
- Ability to think beyond convention and develop long-term visions to meet future requirements
This job description is not designed to cover in detail, or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities for this employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or higher degree in IT Systems, Finance, or Accounting
- Minimum of 8 years of experience designing and implementing BI solutions in the specific domain required, including experience delivering multiple simultaneous complex technology solutions
- 3 to 5 years of experience in data management, data warehousing, data modeling, and business intelligence, and/or master data management, metadata management concepts
- 8 plus of experience in SQL Server ETL Development, SSIS, SSRS and SQL Server DBA activities.
- 3 plus years of experience in designing and developing data marts and automated reporting systems
- 2 plus years of experience leading a team of programmers or technical analysts
- Assist in development of data warehouse using tools like SQL, No SQL and PostgreSQL.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Experience scheduling/automating scripts
- Must have hands-on experience setting up data architecture, security, and ETL processes.
- 3 plus years of experience in Healthcare-related informatics, performance measurement, or analytics.
Preferred Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Certification in SQL Server suites of ETL tools and Database.
- Certification in MS Azure
- Certification in Power BI, SSRS or Tableau.
- Exposure to other ETL tools such as Informatica or DataStage or BODS or Abinitio.