Job Title: RN, Circulator
Location: Colton, CA
Position Type: Per Diem
FLSA Type: Non-Exempt
Work Shift: Day
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates the ability to follow SBESC policy and procedures.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form.
- Demonstrates the ability to handle variations of daily routine.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate information in one-on-one and small group situations to surgeons, employees of the organization, and patients.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate computer programs, web clock, copier, fax, telephone, and calculator.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, talk, and hear.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and push patients in wheelchair to vehicle.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Review patient information to determine normal heart rhythm pattern, current pattern, and prior variances. Inform anesthesia of abnormal findings.
- Observe screen of cardiac monitor and listen for alarm to identify abnormal variation in heart rhythm, oxygenation saturation, and blood pressure. Report abnormalities to anesthesia.
- Inform surgeon or anesthesia of variances to initiate examination of patient.
- Perform basic cardiac life support as necessary.
- Answer calls for assistance from patients and inquiries concerning patients from medical staff.
- Place equipment and supplies in operating room and arrange instruments according to instructions. Able to assist surgical technician to open supplies on to back table, maintaining sterile conditions.
- Assist team members to place and position patient on table, making sure to adequately pad all pressure points.
- Aid surgical team to don gown and gloves.
- Maintain supply of fluids for use during operation.
- Assist technicians with washing and sterilizing equipment when necessary.
- Keep operating room flow consistent, and maintain clean and sterile environment.
- Verify intraocular lens with scrub tech and physician prior to opening onto sterile field.
- Prepare surgical site maintaining sterile conditions.
- Initiate and perform TIME OUT before the start of each case with surgeon, anesthesia, and scrub tech.
- Complete operating room record with all pertinent information relating to the operative procedure documented completely and accurately.
- Keep all OR logs up to date.
- Monitor for expired medications.
- Monitor stock levels and restock accordingly.
- Assist with orientation and training of new hires. Ensure that all surgery/clinic charts and patient information is protected and there is no breach of confidentiality according to HIPAA guidelines.
Education, Training and Experience
- Current California RN license and one to two years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic cardiac life support (BCLS) certification required.