Minnesota Eye Consultants (MEC) is one of the premiere eye care practices in the nation. We believe in One Team, All In. The culture at MEC is one of excellence and teamwork. We are passionate about patient care and dedicated to improving quality of life through life-changing vision procedures and treatments.
MN Eye Consultants is currently hiring for a Casual Registered Nurse at our Woodbury Ambulatory Surgery Center.
Provides professional, high quality, safe and efficient peri-operative nursing care to patients. Roles include circulating, scrubbing, preoperative and postoperative areas as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluation of self-practice in context with professional practice standards and relevant statutes and regulations.
- Acquires and maintains current knowledge in nursing practice.
- Obtains patients’ medical history and performs physical assessment for assigned patients.
- Presents the historical and physical data to the physician to aid in determining the diagnostic and therapeutic measures necessary to correct the patient’s problem.
- Initiates a patient education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient, as prescribed by Physician and/or practice policy including patient and family instruction; explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding and allay apprehension.
- Prepares equipment and aids Physician during treatment and examination of patient; administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques; prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment and supplies for surgery.
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions and notifies Physician of patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments and significant incidents; takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient; responds to emergency situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures and protocol.
- Participates in training of personnel.
- Responsible for preparing the patient for the anticipated surgical procedure, including obtaining an informed consent, completing a pre-operative patient assessment and performing any procedure or administering medications required to prepare the patient for surgery
- Communicates with the circulating nurse, the recovery room nurse, the anesthesia care provider and the surgeon to coordinate a safe and comfortable surgical experience. She/He participates in patient education, makes nursing diagnoses and plans nursing care
- Responsible for patient assessment and maintaining the patients safety in recovering from anesthetic and surgical medications
- Responsible for ensuring that the patient understands their post-operative care requirements
- Collaborates with other peri-operative nursing staff, anesthesia care providers and the surgeon
- Assesses patient outcomes
- Other duties as assigned.
Circulating Nurse duties (if applicable):
- Assesses patient condition before, during and after the procedure to ensure optimal patient outcomes
- Responsible for maintaining sterile technique in the operating room to ensure patient safety
- Supervises any unlicensed assertive personnel in the operating room
- Responsible for ensuring that postoperative physician orders are communicated to the recovery room nursing staff for implementation
- Develops a plan of care and evaluates patient outcomes
- Maintains a safe and comfortable environment for the patient
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Completion of accredited Registered Nursing Program from college or technical school. Two years RN experience in a hospital and/or surgery center setting. One year pre-operative and post-operative experience highly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- A current and up to date MN Registered Nurse (RN) License is required
- A current and up to date BLS certification is required
- ACLS is required within 6 months of hire
At MEC, our areas of expertise range from cataract surgery and premium lens implants, treatment of corneal disease and glaucoma, oculofacial and aesthetic services, to LASIK – laser vision correction. Our mission is to preserve, restore, and enhance vision through research, teaching, and providing the highest quality medical and surgical care to patients.
MN Eye Consultants and Northwest Eye Clinic are now sister companies under Unifeye Vision Partners! To view employment opportunities at all of our locations go to www.unifeyejobs.com
Unifeye Vision Partners provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.