Our Registered Nurses provide professional, high quality, safe and efficient peri-operative nursing care to patients. Roles include preoperative, circulating, and postoperative areas as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluation of self-practice in context with professional practice standards and relevant statutes and regulations.
- Acquire and maintain current knowledge in nursing practice.
- Obtain patients’ medical history and performs physical assessment for assigned patients.
- Present the historical and physical data to the physician to aid in determining the diagnostic and therapeutic measures necessary to correct the patient’s problem.
- Initiate a patient education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient, as prescribed by Physician and/or practice policy including patient and family instruction; explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding and allay apprehension.
- Prepare equipment and aid Physician during treatment and examination of patient; administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques; prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment and supplies for surgery.
- Observe patient, record significant conditions and reactions and notify Physician of patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments and significant incidents; takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
- Maintain awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient; responds to emergency situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures and protocol.
- Participate in training of personnel.
- Responsible for preparing the patient for the anticipated surgical procedure, including obtaining an informed consent, completing a pre-operative patient assessment and performing any procedure or administering medications required to prepare the patient for surgery.
- Communicate with the circulating nurse, the recovery room nurse, the anesthesia care provider and the surgeon to coordinate a safe and comfortable surgical experience. She/He participates in patient education, makes nursing diagnoses and plans nursing care.
- Assess patient condition before, during and after the procedure to ensure optimal patient outcomes.
- Responsible for maintaining sterile technique in the operating room to ensure patient safety.
- Supervise any unlicensed assertive personnel in the operating room.
- Responsible for ensuring that postoperative physician orders are communicated to the recovery room nursing staff for implementation.
- Develop a plan of care and evaluates patient outcomes.
- Maintain a safe and comfortable environment for the patient.
- Responsible for patient assessment and maintaining the patients safety in recovering from anesthetic and surgical medications.
- Responsible for ensuring that the patient understands their post-operative care requirements.
- Collaborate with other peri-operative nursing staff, anesthesia care providers and the surgeon.
- Assess patient outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: Completion of accredited Registered Nursing Program from college or technical school. Two+ years RN experience in a hospital and/or surgery center setting. One+ year pre-operative and post-operative experience highly preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Current, valid Minnesota Registered Nursing (RN) license required. Current BCLS required or must be obtained within the first 60 days of employment.
Location/Schedule Details: This is a full-time (0.8 FTE) RN position regularly working between 32-40 hours per week. This position is based in Minnetonka, but will be required to travel to other locations within the Twin Cities (Blaine, Bloomington, Minnetonka and Woodbury). Hours will vary between 6am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Minnesota Eye Consultants is one of the premiere eye care practices in the nation. The team of providers at Minnesota Eye is comprised of sub-specialty trained surgeons, non-surgical ophthalmologists, fellowship trained optometrists, and physician assistants. Our areas of expertise range from cataract surgery and premium lens implants, treatment of corneal disease and glaucoma, oculofacial and aesthetic services, to LASIK – laser vision correction and other total eye care or specialty offerings. With five Twin Cities locations and over 25 providers, we are committed to delivering both medical and surgical services in a convenient, community setting.
The culture at Minnesota Eye Consultants is one of excellence and teamwork. We are passionate about patient care and dedicated to improving quality of life through life-changing vision procedures and treatments. With over 250 employees across all locations, we believe in One Team, All In. Our mission is to preserve, restore, and enhance vision through research, teaching, and providing the highest quality medical and surgical care to patients.
EEO/AA: Women, Minorities, and the Disabled are encouraged to apply.