Minnesota Eye Consultants (MEC) is one of the premiere eye care practices in the nation. We believe in One Team, All In. The culture at MEC is one of excellence and teamwork. We are passionate about patient care and dedicated to improving quality of life through life-changing vision procedures and treatments.
MN Eye Consultants is currently hiring for a full-time (1.0 FTE) Ophthalmic Triage Technician.
The Triage Technician is a dual clinical role with primary functions split between handling patient phone calls and triaging ocular concerns to determine the urgency of clinic visits, and performing measurements and tests as part of the patient work up necessary for the provider to determine a diagnosis and provide treatment.
MEC offers Technicians the opportunity to work with complex cases in many specialty areas, gain additional certifications and be promoted internally through a developed OT career path.
This position will work Monday-Friday, between 7:30am-5:00pm. The home base of this position is the Woodbury clinic but may require travel to the other MEC locations as needed (Minnetonka, Bloomington, Blaine and Minneapolis).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Triage patient phone calls, answer questions and resolve concerns as directed by the provider to achieve patient satisfaction.
- Determine the urgency for a clinic visit, if at all, and schedule patients accordingly.
- Properly document all calls using the Patient Communication log in the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- Initiate tasks via EHR when necessary to enlist the assistance of other team members to resolve the patient’s request and/or concern.
- Accurately complete medication refill requests obtained via fax, phone call, and patient portal.
- Other phone-specific duties as assigned.
- Obtain complete patient histories including chief complaint, past ocular/medical history, family medical/ocular history and history of allergies and medications and accurately document them into the EHR.
- Perform ophthalmic tests including applanation tonometry, pachymetry, photography, visual fields, corneal topography, OCTs, specular microscopy lensometry and other tests as directed within the prescribed timeline as determined by the Clinic Manager or requested by the provider.
- Provide insertion and removal training for routine and complex contact lens patients.
- Assist with patient pre- and post- op counseling, procedure set up and performing in office procedures including, but not limited to, corneal crosslinking and dry eye treatments.
- Other clinical duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent plus one-year certificate from college or technical school.
- 1+ years’ experience as an Ophthalmic Technician, preferably working in a surgical practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge and proficient use of EHR system preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) certification preferred
At MEC, our areas of expertise range from cataract surgery and premium lens implants, treatment of corneal disease and glaucoma, oculofacial and aesthetic services, to LASIK – laser vision correction. Our mission is to preserve, restore, and enhance vision through research, teaching, and providing the highest quality medical and surgical care to patients.
MN Eye Consultants and Northwest Eye Clinic are now sister companies under Unifeye Vision Partners!
To view employment opportunities at all of our locations go to www.unifeyejobs.com
Unifeye Vision Partners provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.