Minnesota Eye Consultants (MEC) is one of the premiere eye care practices in the nation. We believe in One Team, All In. The culture at MEC is one of excellence and teamwork. We are passionate about patient care and dedicated to improving quality of life through life-changing vision procedures and treatments.
MN Eye Consultants is currently hiring for a full-time Medical Coder in our Business Office.
The Medical Coder is responsible for establishing, implementing, and coordinating documentation and coding processes of clinical and surgical outpatient services, as well as routine eye care. This position will also serve as an information resource and guide to providers, team members, practice managers, and members of our compliance team. The Medical Coder will work within the policies, scope, and goals set forth by the practice. This includes chart documentation and operative note review, finalizing charge data for accurate, timely and compliant claim submissions, provide training to clinical support team, providers, and revenue cycle team, as well as conduct annual chart reviews for compliance. This position will ensure practice coding practices follow state and federal regulations, as well as carrier specific acceptable CPT and ICD-10 coding standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review clinical chart documentation to ensure the services coded by the physician team are properly documented, and coded.
- Assess operative notes for completeness and assign appropriate CPT and ICD-10 codes to all outpatient surgical procedures.
- Capture timely and accurate charges, including but not limited to, electronic processing of clinical charges, updating encounter set up, modifiers, diagnosis codes, CPT order, and invoice supplies in accordance with billing and coding guidelines.
- Demonstrate knowledge and remain current with changes in coding and billing regulations, insurance specific policies, as well as company policy and procedures. Create and maintain a reference library of coding, data entry, and reimbursement policies/procedures.
- Conduct provider chart reviews per the company compliance policy. Specifically, this includes onboarding new physicians, annual chart reviews, and following up on areas of improvement.
- Implement and oversee coding and documentation training program for providers, clinical support, and revenue cycle teams.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with physicians, clinical support teams, revenue cycle team, and management regarding coding and documentation clarifications, policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Assist Revenue Cycle teams with coding related needs including managing unbilled reports for clinical and surgical services, supplying codes for accurate prior authorizations, reviewing coding related claim denials, and assisting the team in addressing patient coding related inquiries.
- Identify areas of opportunity for improved documentation in the clinic, or efficiency in daily work, and coordinate training with the Revenue Cycle Manager for purposes of team member professional development and revenue impacts.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree (AA) from two-year college or technical school preferred; and/or two to three years’ related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination.
- Minimum of 3 years medical billing and coding experience.
- Coding certification required.
- Previous Ophthalmology experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of medical and insurance terminology.
- Previous experience in working with Commercial, Medicare, Medicaid and managed care insurance plans and procedures preferred.
- Proficient with computers. Including experience in Microsoft applications – word, excel, outlook, and previous experience with electronic claim filing and practice management software programs.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Certified Procedural Coder, Ophthalmic Coding Specialist, Certified Coding Specialist, Registered Health Information Technician, or Registered Health Information Administrator required. Ongoing certification maintenance is required.
At MEC, our areas of expertise range from cataract surgery and premium lens implants, treatment of corneal disease and glaucoma, oculofacial and aesthetic services, to LASIK – laser vision correction. Our mission is to preserve, restore, and enhance vision through research, teaching, and providing the highest quality medical and surgical care to patients.
MN Eye Consultants and Northwest Eye Clinic are now sister companies under Unifeye Vision Partners! To view employment opportunities at all of our locations go to www.unifeyejobs.com
Unifeye Vision Partners provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.