Billing & Coding Specialist II
The Billing & Coding Specialist II is responsible for coordinating and executing processes of front-end medical billing for both our clinical and surgical practices. This includes clinical chart documentation and operative note review, finalizing charge data for accurate and timely claim submissions, and providing customer service to our patients, team members, and providers who may have billing or account related questions. In addition, this role will assist the Certified Coding team on clinical and surgical coding. This position will ensure Minnesota Eye Consultants’ coding and claims practices follow federal and state coding and billing regulations and abide by carrier specific acceptable CPT and ICD-10 coding standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review clinical chart documentation to ensure the services coded by the physician team are properly documented, and coded.
- Assess operative notes and assist in assigning appropriate CPT and ICD10 codes to basic outpatient surgical procedures.
- Capture timely and accurate charges. Includes electronic processing of clinical charges, and manual processing of surgical procedures. Confirm accurate insurance entry and make necessary updates to encounter set up, modifiers, diagnosis codes, CPT order, and invoice supplies in accordance with billing and coding guidelines.
- Identify and obtain clarification of incomplete, conflicting, ambiguous, or non-specific documentation from the clinical team.
- Assist with managing unbilled reports for surgical procedures and providing updates to management as needed.
- Reference library of coding, data entry, and reimbursement policies/procedures assigned to this role and keep current with changes in coding and billing regulations, insurance specific policies, as well as company policy and procedures.
- Identify any areas of opportunity for improved documentation in the clinic, or efficiency in daily work, and communicate back to Revenue Cycle Manager for purpose of staff professional development and revenue impacts.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with physicians and other clinical teams regarding billing and documentation policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Provide high quality service to our patients as a member of our billing phone team. Including assistance with questions on their accounts, processing payments, setting up payment arrangements, and facilitating follow up with insurance companies if applicable.
- Assist with the handling team voicemails, emails, and online patient portal inquiries.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Associates Degree (AA) from a technical school or two-year college preferred; and/or equivalent experience.
- Coding certification preferred.
- Minimum of two years medical office billing experience.
This position is based in our Bloomington office and regularly scheduled M-F during standard business hours.
Minnesota Eye Consultants is one of the premiere eye care practices in the nation. The team of providers at Minnesota Eye is comprised of sub-specialty trained surgeons, non-surgical ophthalmologists, fellowship trained optometrists, and physician assistants. Our areas of expertise range from cataract surgery and premium lens implants, treatment of corneal disease and glaucoma, oculofacial and aesthetic services, to LASIK – laser vision correction and other total eye care or specialty offerings. With five Twin Cities locations and over 25 providers, we are committed to delivering both medical and surgical services in a convenient, community setting.
The culture at Minnesota Eye Consultants is one of excellence and teamwork. We are passionate about patient care and dedicated to improving quality of life through life-changing vision procedures and treatments. With over 250 employees across all locations, we believe in One Team, All In. Our mission is to preserve, restore, and enhance vision through research, teaching, and providing the highest quality medical and surgical care to patients.
EEO Employer: Women, Minorities, and the Disabled are encouraged to apply.