Serves as the first patient contact in the Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC). Responsible for most clerical requirements of the ASC. Communications with the ASC, both internally and externally, are coordinated by the ASC Surgical Coordinator.
Location/Schedule Details: This is a part-time, non-exempt position located at our Colton Ambulatory Surgery Center. Work hours vary from early morning to early evening.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Screen and register all patients the day of surgery
- Collect and post payments
- Verify all patient registration forms are accurate.
- Gather required information, including but not limited to, insurance cards, copy of referral, releases.
- Ensure all appropriate signatures have been obtained.
- Communicate information or delays to the pre-op team.
- Ensure patient’s rights, consents, advance directives are completed and in chart.
- Assemble patient charts pre-operatively and post-operatively.
- Retrieve and file charts accurately.
- Manage incoming phone calls and distributes appropriately.
- File and scan incoming reports. i.e. pathology, laboratory, radiology, history & physicals.
- Assist with discharging patients, i.e. wheel patient to car
- Maintain visitor logs per ASC policy.
- Responsible for opening and closing duties of the ASC.
- Maintain and order clerical supplies.
- Assist with data collection for special projects.
- Follow protocol in a calm manner in the event of an emergency.
- Participate in staff meetings and in-services.
- Assist surgery schedulers as needed.
- Gathers intraoperative forms, surgery schedule and insurance packets at completion of surgery and sends to billing daily.
- Sends surgery schedule to transcription department daily.
- Assigns patient arrival times for daily surgery schedule based on surgeon preference and ASC protocol (Colton ASC).
- Telephones patients with arrival times (Colton ASC).
- Type and distribute daily surgery schedule and posts to main board as necessary (Colton ASC).
- Follow-up with external medical offices to obtain required medical clearance, lab results, and EKGs for upcoming surgeries (Colton ASC).
- Other duties as assigned.
This position does not have direct reports or supervisory responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Experience working in health care or surgery center environment preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Demonstrates the ability to operate computer programs (Excel, Word, Medical Manager, Intergy, Nextech) copier, fax, telephone, and calculator.
Inland Eye Institute (A Division of Pacific Eye Institute) is one of the premiere eye care practices in the Inland Empire. The team of providers at Inland Eye is comprised of sub-specialty trained surgeons, non-surgical ophthalmologists and optometrists. Our areas of expertise range from cataract surgery and premium lens implants, treatment of corneal disease and glaucoma, oculofacial and aesthetic services, to LASIK – laser vision correction and other total eye care or specialty offerings. With eight Inland Empire locations we are committed to delivering both medical and surgical services in a convenient, community setting.
The culture at Pacific Eye Institute is one of excellence and teamwork. We are passionate about patient care and dedicated to improving quality of life through life-changing vision procedures and treatments. With over 200 employees across all Inland Empire locations, we believe in One Team, All In.